Breast Lift Bluffton
A woman’s breasts often change over time, losing their youthful shape and firmness. These changes, including loss of skin elasticity, can result from pregnancy, breast-feeding, weight fluctuations, aging, and gravity. Heredity may also be a factor, and a woman in her teens may experience loose, sagging breast tissue. Breasts that have lost their firm, uplifted contours can affect a woman’s self-image and confidence.
If you desire to restore the firmness and shape of your breasts, then a breast lift may be right for you. In general, a breast lift raises and firms the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour. Sometimes the areola (the pigmented skin surrounding the nipple) has become enlarged over time, and a breast lift will reduce this as well. A breast lift rejuvenates the female figure with a breast profile that is more youthful, uplifted and firm.
What is a Breast Lift?
Breast lift, technically called mastopexy, is surgery to uplift and improve the shape of a female breast that:
- Sags or is pendulous, but is proportionate with the body frame
- Has lost firmness and skin elasticity
- Has a flatter, elongated shape when unsupported, the nipple falls below the breast crease
- Has a nipple and areola (the pigmented skin surrounding the nipple) that point downward
- Has stretched skin and an enlarged arcola
A breast lift is appropriate for women who wish to improve breast shape and position. When an increase in breast volume is also desired, breast implants may be inserted in conjunction with a breast lift.
While a breast lift does not generally affect breast function, women who are planning future pregnancies should discuss this with their plastic surgeon. The changes that occur in the breasts during pregnancy can minimize or reverse the improvement a breast lift provides. Likewise, plans for significant weight loss should also be discussed. For these reasons, good candidates for a breast lift are generally women of normal, stable weight whose breasts are fully developed and who have completed their family. Breast lift is appropriate in younger women as well, most commonly in cases of breast asymmetry where the position of one breast is lower than the other.
A breast lift is best performed on:
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for improving body image
Breast lift is a highly individualized procedure achieved through a variety of incision patterns and techniques. The appropriate technique for your case will be determined based on:
- Breast size and shape
- The size and position of the areola
- the degree of breast sagging
- Skin quality and skin elasticity as well as the amount of extra skin
There are many variations to the procedure, however one of the most common is a pattern with three incisions:
- Around the areola
- Vertically down from the areola to the breast crease
- horizontally along the breast crease
Through these incisions, the underlying breast tissue is lifted and reshaped to improve breast contour and firmness. The nipple and areola are repositioned to a natural, more youthful height. If necessary, enlarged areolas are reduced by excising skin at the perimeter. Excess breast skin is removed to compensate for a loss of elasticity.
Alternative techniques eliminate either the horizontal incision at the breast crease, the vertical incision from the areola to the breast crease or sometimes both. In any case, incisions are usually placed so that they can he hidden under clothing and swimsuits. Non-removable sutures are layered deep within the breast tissue to create and support the newly shaped breasts. Sutures, skin adhesives and/or surgical tape may be used to close the skin.
Breast Lift Consultant for the Hilton Head Island area – including Hilton Head, Bluffton and Savannah, GA
A consultation with your local plastic surgeon is the first step to learn how a breast lift can improve your breast contours. A consultation is designed to fully educate you about a breast lift in a non-pressured environment, and will include:
- A discussion of your goals and an evaluation of your individual case
- The option available in breast lift surgery
- The likely outcomes of a breast lift and any risks or potential complications
- The prescribed course of treatment recommended by your plastic surgeon
If you are interested in receiving additional information on Savannah Breast Lift or setting up an initial consultation, please contact Weniger Plastic Surgery’s main office at (843) 757-0123